opaqueice;153839 Wrote:
> OK, so we agree that loading it all into memory eliminates jitter
> entirely.  The next question is whether the Lavry (which I use as an
> example because it's the only one I've read the white paper for)
> accomplishes this as well.  What they do is use a CPU to check the
> state of the buffer.  If it's getting full, they increase the speed of
> the clock (which controls the output); if it's emptying out they
> decrease it.  This keeps the buffer around half full all the time.
> They make this (tiny) adjustment every ten seconds or so for a typical
> timing mismatch.
>
> Now, while it's possible (but implausible) that this adjustment process
> could have an audible effect on the sound, it's still got nothing to do
> with, and is totally independent of, input jitter.  It depends only on
> the difference in _average_ clock rates, not when each individual
> rising edge arrives.

Well, that might be a semantic difference, because jitter is measured
as an average, not regarding each individual rising edge.  As the dCS
whitepaper describes, we're now talking about "Signal-related timing
error", not random "noise-related" jitter.  The only reason why you'd
have buffer overflow/underflow is because of a difference in the
transport and DAC clocks, and this is essentially the same issue that
is introduced by PLL's.  The bottom line is if you have a system that
uses two different clocks, there will be differences, and therefore
jitter will be present.  EDIT/ADDED: The remaining question is whether
it is enough jitter to be audible.

--
PhilNYC

Sonic Spirits Inc.