Excellent post.

One thing: without analogue attenuation (ie, moving the jumpers) with,
at least in my experience, a 26db gain amp, there is a lot of volume.
To me, all the way to the left should be silence and all the way to the
right should be very loud but not wall-smashing.  I experimented and
found that the -20db setting was ideal (well, it was -10db for a
while).  This all depends on amp gain, input impedance, etc., so it is
worth experimenting.

--
highdudgeon

Relax.  It's about the music.