Many thanks for all the helpful tips - I had better do some more
experimenting since frankly the bass is pretty thin at the moment (the
988s often sound thinner than my old ESL57s). Behind the 988s are
windows (starting about 2ft off the ground) and a radiator so a little
awkward to treat those, but I can certainly do a partial treatment. I
don't seem to have beaming trebble problems which always worried me
with the windows. Is it possible to just attach some sound absorbment
material to the back of the 988s? The ESL57s had some such material
built into them ..

Finally I tried searching on various permutations of "acoustics and
evans-corning 705 or 703" and nothing came up - I must be missing
something?

--
rbl