highdudgeon;157847 Wrote:

> Of course, there is the UC Davis oenology department black cup
> test...where in, yes, double-blind tests experienced tasters scored 50%
> in distinguishing reds from whites.  In another experiment, cheap and
> expensive wines were poured into different bottles.  In a non-blind
> test, the expensive label wines (which were actually cheap) won the
> day.  This is not a rumor; my brother-in-law went to school there.

You know, I had heard this story (about reds vs. whites)  before, but I
found it pretty hard to believe - so I tried it.  We took two reds and
two whites and did a blind taste test.  We tried to pick reasonably
neutral wines (one of the reds was a Beaujolais, for example) so as to
make it as hard as possible.  Guess what - the difference was
completely obvious.  It wasn't ever necessary to taste twice, or taste
the others before deciding - we immediately knew in each case from the
first taste whether the wine was white or red.  Try it yourself - it's
just impossible to mistake them (at least for ordinary wines; you could
of course make a "red" wine by coloring a white without changing the
taste, but I assume that's not what you meant).

On the other hand the thing about expensive labels I have no trouble
believing - there was an "experiment" like that on a huge scale - the
San Francisco wine competition - which clearly demonstrated it.

--
opaqueice