highdudgeon;158213 Wrote:
> Okay, so tell us what you know about the Transporter (which should be
> plenty, if you've done your research, because SD has been open about
> design and results).  Tell us, too, about some measurement differences
> with all these goodies and why, specifically, they should result in
> anything more than...well...equal or degraded signal?  I'm guessing
> you're paying at least a grand, or close to that, and that you've been
> told the background will be black, there will be more air, etc.  Words
> are one thing; facts are another; the power of suggestion is powerful
> indeed.

I appreciate your input here, as I think it may be coming from concern,
thinking there was something that he hadnt considered but should
probably consider before making a big financial decision.

But the above quote sounds like you feel he owes you (or any of us for
that matter) a justificaton of why he wants to spend his own money, and
that he must explain it in using only THD or jitter specs or someting?
I really dont think this is a reasonable request.  He's already said
that he is doing it based on the track record of his own experience
with the modded SB.

So, one could say he is doing it out of trust in Boulder Mods.  You
might argue his trust is misplaced, but I would bet he believes his
trust is justified by his own experience.  Shouldnt his own experience
be the final arbiter?

At this point you might say that he was fooled by psycho-acoutic or
simply psychological factors.  In other words sometimes your own
experience can lie.  I agree with that.  But if he's like most of us
(incredibly intelligent!!) people who habit this forum, I again would
bet that he did some kind of A-B testing.  Is the A-B testing up to a
standard that we would all accept?  Maybe not.

Its obvious you have real passion for finding the truth in audio.  But,
I dont think you are gonna persuade or change his mind by demanding that
he provide all the justification you are demanding.  But if we could put
some of our collective passion into developing a listening testing
scheme that we could all endorse.  Now THAT would be worth the energy!

--
atkinsonrr

Transporter, Quicksilver V4 Monos, Vandersteen Model 5A speakers.  SB3,
Quad Tube Pre-Amp, Tube Monos, Quad ESLs.  Homemade Tripath Digital
amps, Carver ALS (original) Speakers with Outboard Crossovers.