All this discussion has made me think of a product often used in model
railroading:

'Rail-Zip' (http://zap.supergluecorp.com/pt23.html)

You can get it in a hobby shop that sells train stuff.

It does work pretty well for cleaning metal and keeping it clean (well,
not visibly clean, but conductive at least).

Many people have advanced theories about it, and of course the company
isn't saying anything.  It's a reddish oil.  It's designed to leave a
film and most theories say that this film is conductive.  How an oil
can be conductive I'm not sure!  But I will say the track does seem to
get dirty, with a black oily residue, but conductivity is still
excellent.

Incidentally Wahl hair clipper oil is also recommended and seems to
work the same.

'Course the difference here is that you have a MOVING contact with some
weight behind it - it can push a thin enough film out of the way.

That said I'm personally going with a "scorched Earth" policy, leaving
NOTHING on my rails - I clean it with 99% isopropyl alcohol for regular
cleaning, lacquer thinner or acetone for heavy cleaning, then I leave it
bare.  I do not want a sticky film to gather dust and dirt.

And regarding speaker cables, I'm with Sean and use tinned ends, no
banana clips or spades.

--
Mark Lanctot