empty99;164607 Wrote:
> So let recap what been said so far:
> - There are some artificial ingredients added to boost pleasantry in
> recorded music

Absolutely

empty99;164607 Wrote:

> - There maybe a chance to boost same from the end user (unlikely, due
> to low cost non linear equipment or lack of knowledge)

Not really - adding more ambience to ambience = aural disaster
What you want is to add as little as possible!
Ideally, you want to hear just what is on the record - hence why
headphones sound (mostly) so good.

empty99;164607 Wrote:

> - Faithfulness to the source can be hit or miss due to same
> Yes
>
> - DRC carefully applied can minimize room modes
> Considering all of the above, the average consumers can end up with
> systems ranging from horrible to great, just as it is now. I only
> wanted to point out all the potential pitfalls. From experience, I only
> used the simplest recordings of real acoustic instruments, preferably
> small ensemble works, or arias with voice, from quality record labels,
> to test new gears I want to purchase. This way, the least processing,
> the most identifiable sounds, makes it easier to pick out the one that
> sounds "right".
> I don't mean to sound preachy, but it's been a crusade for me to help
> friends and coworkers understand what's needed when putting together an
> audio system. It can sound oh so good in the end, for so little money...

Agreed - but there is no point in using a solo voice as a reference
track if the normal listening preference is Metallica.
If you like thrash metal, you need a system that can do that well!

Some systems suit certain types of music better than others...

--
Phil Leigh