Patrick Dixon;147622 Wrote:
> No - it just gives you a slight reduction in the actual signal to noise
> ratio at the DAC.
and now, in response to Sean's comments "This is completely, 100%
wrong. It doesn't matter how many people say this, it is still wrong":
Patrick Dixon;164921 Wrote:
> Yes, you only maintain all the resolution of the original 16 bits by
> using all 24 bits - so truncating to 20 will loose you some
> information.

I'm now more confused than I started.

So Patrick is saying that reducing the digital volume will NOT take out
information from the original signal, just slightly reduce the SNR.
And Patrick is saying that even if you leave the volume at 100, you
will lose original resolution of the 16 bits if you have a 20 bit DAC
(as you are sending it a 24 bit signal).

I apologise if I have miss interpreted everything, but it seems that
Sean and Patrick are saying completely different things.

The one bit that does seem clear, is that digitally reducing the
volume, prior to converting to anologue, reduces the SNR.

--
Triggaaar