There are two different issues here, and I think they might be causing
some confusion.  One is whether information is lost when you lower the
volume; in other words, is it possible to reconstitute the original
signal from the signal with lowered volume?  The answer to this in the
case of the SB (and probably TP) is that there is a certain range from
100 down for which this is possible, but that below some setting it
isn't any longer (I think this is 35dB, so to lowest setting is 30 on
the 100 point scale).
But of course this is not a question of much practical interest.

Another question is signal/noise ratio of the signal going to a DAC.
In that case the issue above is probably tototally unimportant, and the
only issue is how much of the dynamic range of the DAC is being used.
Any digital signal with lower than max volume will suffer reduced S/N,
and it shouldn't matter much, if at all, if it is slightly below 30 or
slightly above 30.

--
opaqueice