NewBuyer wrote:
> Pat, just curious please: What differences do those clients describe,
> between their mental image of how they sound, and how they actually do
> sound in the room?

There are tons. Phil Leigh did a good job covering some of them.

A fair number of musicians freak out when they get into a studio.
It is not a natural place, and not like clubs and bars where most of
them work. And instead of getting paid a couple hundred bucks a night,
they are paying a couple hundred bucks. So they often don't play the
same as they do in real life.

Music is about timing and pitch, you can't have any emotion until
you get the fundamentals right.

And a fair number of them have inflated visions of their talent.
It takes a fair amount of ego to get up on a stage and play and sing.
Most civilized people will clap if you present a decent show, and they
are likely to clap more as they drink more.

More than once I've recorded a group that expected to sound like the
records that sell, yet the group can't keep time, can't hit their notes,
forget to sing harmony and all sing melody, etc. The recording reflects
that. When I play back the take, they don't like what they hear, and
try to place the blame on me.

Sometimes the group has the talent in other locations, but can't
deliver it in the studio. Some don't have the talent they think
they have.

Its not terribly hard to get equipment and space and experience to
record what the group really sounds like, especially for pop, country,
etc. That doesn't mean that what they really sound like is what they
think they sound like.

--
Pat Farrell         PRC recording studio
http://www.pfarrell.com/PRC