Hi,

I am in progress of replacing my classic component Rotel stereo system
(old, many problems with it) and replacing it with the following
components:

- Paradigm Reference Studio 60 V.4
- Bryston 3B SST power amp (2 channel, 150Wpc)
- Transporter

My home theater system is completely seperate - this is just for music.
All my CDs have been EAC ripped to FLAC (what a great program EAC is).

Anyway, my question is about voltage levels on the Transporter (Tp)
balanced output and the Bryston 3B input requirements.

The Tp indicates output levels of 3Vrms.

The 3B says this about the 1V/2V gain switch when balanced operation is
selected:

Quote:
4. Input Sensitivity (Gain) Switch.

The optimum gain setting will depend upon the source pre-amp operating
level, and or personal preference.

The 1v setting is used when the source is single-ended, or from a
transformer coupled balanced source. This is the home theatre setting
for single ended or un-balanced operation. The 1v setting provides the
most amplifier gain - 29 dB. (1v in = 100w @ 8 ohms.) (noise -110 dB)

The 2v setting is used when the sources output is actively Balanced.
This is the home theatre setting for balanced operation Or use this
setting with any systems where the volume control rotation is limited
to the bottom half of the control or less. The 2v setting provides an
amplifier gain - 23 dB. ( 2v in = 100w @ 8 ohms.) ( noise -113 dB )
Unquote.

So I am assuming I use the 2V setting - is this correct?

But what about the difference in output levels of 2v vs 3v? Is this a
problem? Do I need attenuation on the Tp? Or do I just not turn it up
all the way?

I am new to balanced operation and the Transporter in general so please
be gentle. Any comments or recommendations appreciated.

--
Eric Carroll