Thanks Pat - that's clear. I realised it would have to read ahead to
find the max level value and then boost the track by whatever the
available headroom was (along with the noise floor!). I've used that
kind of normalisation before in Sonar - on individual tracks in a mix.
What I often found was there were  high-level transients somewhere in
the track that were a lot higher than the average level so actually the
normalisation didn't have much headroom to work with...until I
compressed (or zapped) the transients.

This shoudn't be the case on a full mix coming off a CD (almost
certainly brick-wall limited during astering these days!).
Cheers
Phil

--
Phil Leigh