In the datasheet for the PCM1748 it states this device offers some post
DAC low pass filtering internally, but it is not enough to attenuate
out of band noise (artifacts from DAC process), and the recommendation
is to employ additional low pass filtering.  Without looking at the SB3
schematic, or even pictures of the PCB, I assume the designer(s) carried
this recommendation out by an active filter providing some gain and the
filter function. Removing this op-amp as a means to higher sonic
performance seems troubling to me. If the down stage components (preamp
in particular) are capable of high bandwidth it is possible in some
instances to create unstability in the power amp. Don't get me wrong, I
like modifying stuff too, but this is something I would leave alone, as
it performs a useful and necessary function. It might be interesting
however to replace the bipolar stock opamp in favor of say an AD827, or
many other higher performance parts.

This reminds me of the modders who remove the muting circuits in cd
players...yeah those annoying clicks are real fun...

I would love to hear what the SB3 engineers are saying about the dudes
who reroute traces and clip this line and that and just remove parts
that "seem" like they are in the way.

I guess it is fun on some level (kind of like those dudes that pimp out
honda civics), but you have to trust the designer on another level too!
just my 2 cents.

--
dpac996