Actually, Monsieur Ice...I agree with you. The only reason I use the
amps I use is that they can take the x-over modules for my speakers.
I'm not sure I could tell the difference between them and any really
high-end (ie costly - usually) amp. Your basic premise that provided
they aren't struggling to deliver the power they are fine works for
me.

I find that speakers, then DACS then cables (yeah - I know) make the
most difference for me...in that order.

BTW My wife was quite initially rather interested when I spluttered
"knob of death, ha ha ha" until I explained further...

--
Phil Leigh