desertrat58;170371 Wrote:
> My thoughts exactly. I have a Bryston BP25MC preamp. At this point, upon
> further online perusal, I am currently sold on the Benchmark DAC1.

It's funny... I was considering a Benchmark DAC1 as a possible upgrade
to a Channel Islands Audio VDA-1/VAC-1 in my second system.  If I
thought that in any way it would increase the brightness of this
system, I wouldn't even consider it.  More detail, yes, I'd expect
that.  A more liquid sound, yes.  Lower, tighter bass, possibly.  But
the tizzy, etched highs of a typically "bright" component?  No, I
wouldn't expect that at all from a good modern DAC.

If you like the sound of some old DACs, why not try a DAC of the same
era?  In my experience, most inexpensive to moderately priced DACs from
more than ten years ago were impossibly bright and nasty.  So instead of
spending $1000 on something new, try spending $200 on some circa 1995
DAC and you'll probably get the sound you love.

--
JJZolx

Jim