Triode;171708 Wrote:
> Jitter only exists when you reconstruct the the bitstream in real time.
> Files only contain the bits and the defined sampling rate, they don't
> contain anything which would equate to jitter, i.e. there is no timing
> information.  When you reconstruct the bitstream, a local oscillator is
> used running at the defined sampling frequency to define when each
> sample is replayed.  Jitter comes from variations in the phase of this
> oscillator before it gets to the Digital to Analog (DAC) chip.
>
> So you can't have a jittery file...  You can have a jitterly oscillator
> but thats another story and is local to the replay device.

I'm not saying that the "file is jittery".  But when you play an Apple
Lossless file on a Slim Devices system, SlimServer converts that Apple
Lossless file into FLAC/WAV on-the-fly (as you put it)...and that is
where I am saying that perhaps some jitter is being introduced.  The
timing accuracy of that on-the-fly conversion will be dependent on the
local oscillator of the CPU that is doing the conversion...

--
PhilNYC

Sonic Spirits Inc.
http://www.sonicspirits.com