P Floding;172026 Wrote:
> I'm not really up for a full explanation/investigation. Let's just say
> that a tube amp that is rated in the 10s of watts, being driven into
> soft-limiting is going to generate loads of distortion. It is
> meaningless to compare distortion figures at similar power levels
> between such totally different designs since the tube amp would be used
> with extremely sensitive speakers.
>
> I'm sure the Behringer would sound pretty awful playing into such
> sensitive speakers, wheras the tube amp would sound very nice indeed as
> there is no increased distortion for low level signals. (Also realise
> that if 1/10 of a watt is used, a lot of the signal will be much
> further down yet in level. How would that sound with 70's style
> transistor radio type crossover distortion?)

My question was just why amplitude and not power - I would guess that
human perception of distortion scales more closely with the power than
with the amplitude, but perhaps that's wrong.

I don't understand what you're saying in your post.  That tube amp has
5 times more distortion amplitude (-45dB), or 25 times more distortion
power, at 1/10 of a watt.  Extrapolating the A500 distortion (which is
quite linear on the log-log plot from a few watts down) to lower power,
to get to -45dB you'd have to go down another three orders of magnitude.
So at .0001 W the two distortions would be comparable, assuming the
tube amp curve stays flat.  I doubt even the most sensitive speakers
are going to make much noise at that level.

Therefore into any speakers the A500 has significantly lower
distortion, so I don't see why you think it would sound bad.

--
opaqueice