opaqueice;172110 Wrote:
> OK, interesting.  Re: the A500, I don't have access to the other review,
> but from the audiocritic data there's no reason to think this is
> crossover distortion - it doesn't scale the way you say it should - and
> it's linear over nearly two orders of magnitude in power, so the best
> prediction is it remains so.  Even if your crossover behavior - no
> scaling with power - takes over right at .1W, you'd still need to go
> down to about .005W to equal the tube amp distortion, which is still a
> factor of 5 down from your listening level.  Anyway I don't think we're
> going to convince each other at this point :-) - but thanks for the
> interesting discussion.
>
> FYI my speakers at barely audible level are around .02 VRMS, so you're
> right, that is very low.  Actually they don't sound very good at that
> level either - no midrange.  Not sure if that's due to nonlinearities
> in the speakers, amp, room, Inguz RC, or my ears though.  You have to
> remember there's a psychoacoustic scaling with level - the same signal
> reduced in amplitude sounds different, not just quieter, because our
> perception of sound isn't linear.

I'm not sure about 0.02 Volts RMS into mine.. I had about 0.5 volts
peek-to-peek.

But if you don't get much mid-range at low levels it sounds like some
non-linearity in the mid-driver's suspension. A hysteris-effect. My
Yams keep amazingly consistent sound when lowering listening levels.

Yeah, we are not getting much further with guesswork. My point was just
that something 60-70 dB below maximum listening level may well spoil low
level listening. (I'm listening right at the cut-off limit of the SB3's
built in volume control, which I believe is 50dB below the max level.
In addition I dialed in another 5 dB attenuation in the "preamp
level".)

Thanks for the discussion.

--
P Floding