opaqueice;174092 Wrote:
> Both are solved problems in the sense that it's relatively easy to build
> them in such a way that they measure close to perfectly and sound
> identical.  However that doesn't mean they're all built that way.  The
> Benchmark is, but I don't know about the Naim.  The SB3 DAC measures
> significantly worse than the Benchmark; I don't know if that's audible
> (I suspect not, and I've compared it to two other DACs - not including
> the Benchmark - and found it to be identical, but can't be sure).
>
> In any case the important thing here is probably to believe you're
> listening to the best and therefore not worry about it, and the
> Benchmark is demonstrably among the best.

I'd be shocked if anyone at all would have thought the measurable
differences (in lab conditions) between an SB3 and any other playback
source were possible to hear, say, 25 years ago.

I guess that must mean we didn't have a clue then, but now we really
understand it all.. ;-)

I notice this is OT now, so that will be it from me on the subject of
DAC sound quality.

--
P Floding