bpa;175886 Wrote:
> I think a 50msec changeover is a bit irrelevant to a TCP connections as
> long as the basic comms link stays up. If there is a glitch which
> results in packet corruption/loss, TCP will arrange retransmissions as
> long as the TCP connections is maintained.  If the retransmission can
> occur such that the missing packet arrive in time, then there will be
> no gaps in the audio.
>
> If the changeover resulted in some loss of sync or similar which resets
> the TCP connection then there would be a problem regardless of the
> amount of buffering.
>
> So if you are demoing that "physical" comms path can be changed (e.g.
> onto a different fibre in a  SDH ring) without
> interrupting/breaking/resetting the TCP connections, the SB will be
> ideal and the amount of buffering won't really matter.

Your right, I obviously did not read the other post close enough, I
thought the SS streamed via UDP not TCP. As long as the SB can buffer
long enough to send/receive the retransmit request/reply for a lost
packet or two, all is good.

We are using RSVP-TE FRR on  MPLS service router platforms. Most
failovers actually occur in and around 20-30 m/s. The impact to
Ethernet services, and customer applications  running on this
infrastructure is rather negligable.  TCP session dropping, will  not
be an issue. If i can crank down the buffer size so the SB cannot
tolerate a large amount of packet drops i may have a interesting demo
on my hands. (and a good excuse to pick ip a old SB1 )

--
sfraser