P Floding;175883 Wrote:
> No, because it is not "overlaid". It is correlated. You don't get
> "similar noise" from your described methods.

OK, I guess that wasn't my last post...

Take the actual waveform, subtract the ideal, and that's the noise
spectrum (or distortion, or choose whatever term you prefer - from now
on I'll refer to it as noise).  Because everything here is linear, you
can think of the actual signal as the noise plus (overlaid on) the
ideal signal.  Some of that noise comes from jitter, and some comes
from thermal noise in the analogue stage, and some comes from EMI,
etc.

Now, noise due to jitter is correlated with the signal in the following
sense: if you add some jitter with frequency x to a signal with
frequency y, you get noise concentrated at frequency y-x and y+x, as
well as some other components.  If you add that same interference to an
analogue signal, you just get noise at x (this is what I said two posts
back), so that could be said to be uncorrelated with the signal.  Of
course if you add full spectrum noise to the digital signal you will
get full spectrum (possibly with a different shape) noise at the
analogue out, so there the difference is qualitatively much less.

My point, again, is that the noise due to jitter is going to be much
harder to hear than the noise directly added to the analogue stage if
the source of both is the same old EMI.  So if you don't hear any
change in the noise floor when you unplug the wallwart I'm very
skeptical there can be any change when music is playing.

It would be interesting to see if there's some DAC design for which
this isn't true - maybe you could build a DAC which greatly amplifies
jitter at certain frequencies or something...  what DACs are you two
using?

--
opaqueice