opaqueice;177639 Wrote:
> Well, one can only take that attitude so far and still be considered an
> audiophile!  After all, in the 1920's people danced
> to music played over victrolas and primitive (by our standards) radios,
> but very few are satisfied with that sound quality now.  So let's ask
> this - in 100 years, will our current sound reproduction technology
> sound as tinny and thin as a victrola does to us now?
>
> I doubt it - I think we are much closer to the goal, whatever it is,
> and further progress will be less dramatic.  But I could be wrong...

Erm... I take your point...I guess I'm less of an "audiophile" than a
"music lover" - that's OK with me!

I also agree with your "diminishing returns" conclusion.

However, it's worth remembering that the Victorians had possibly the
highest fidelity domestic music generating device ever - the
player-piano! You can't argue with the "fidelity" of that...although I
bet modern ones (like that Yamaha that costs £150,000) can be upgraded
with room correction ;0)

--
Phil Leigh