P Floding;178087 Wrote:
> Yes, of course.
> But there is a difference between being able to fathom that something
> may be possible, even though not researched yet, and dismissing
> outright anything "strange" as being impossible (what I call a
> nay-sayer).

It's all in tone.  Unless there's any evidence backing something up,
it's conjecture at best.  That's the way it is.  But some
scientifically-minded people have a way of saying "conjecture at best"
in a way that rhymes with "mule-sit".  It's a lack of interpersonal
skills, and I agree that that sort of tone discourages exploration and
doesn't breed good discussion.

There are also the sort of theories that, if true, would threaten the
foundations of many other theories.  See Einstein's "God doesn't play
dice with the universe" dismissal of quantum mechanics.  Getting
personally invested in a particular way of looking at things happens,
and clearly even to the best of us.  And the only solution is evidence.
Pile it on until they cry uncle.

--
CatBus