opaqueice;179071 Wrote:
> There's a better way to do this sort of test, although I don't know a
> way to use the SB rather than a sound card - download the ABXY plugin
> for foobar.  Then just convert a FLAC to mp3 and AB the two.  The
> plugin runs a nice blind test; you can see immediatly what you can hear
> and what you can't.  It's very instructive.

There is a little problem with this whole approach.

mp3 CAN sound good, and we tend to accept what we are served up -for a
while. To actually identify the different coding formats one would have
to learn to listen for specific things.

I found mp3, AAC and Dolby Digital inoffensive and rather pleasant
sounding -given decent bitrates.

--
P Floding

No, I didn't ABX it. And I won't even if you ask me. (Especially not if
you ask me.)