regalma1;180887 Wrote:
> I still have a hard time believing that digital in/digital out is going
> to sound different. It just runs contrary to my understanding. Maybe
> jitter is being introduced.The process of receiving the audio data and
> synchronising the DAC clock
to the incoming SPDIF signal can introduce jitter.  Depending on how
clean the transmitted SPDIF signal is, and how much jitter is already
present in that signal, it make's the task harder or easier for the
DAC.
regalma1;180887 Wrote:
> I would love to see spectragraphs comparing the two. That should take
> care of the jitter question.Here are the measurements we did a while ago
http://www.at-view.co.uk/sb2_jitter.htm -  they're clearly different,
so you just have to figure out what that does to the sound now ;-)

regalma1;180887 Wrote:
> Also, you say the Boulder modded sounds much better than the standard
> SB3, but apparently it wasn't part of this test.I'm not sure what you mean,
> there was a SB+, a SB3 and a Boulder SB2 all
in the same room at the same time.

I think you probably need to hear these things for yourself.  At best,
someone else's DBT is only going to tell you that a difference exists -
not necessarily which one is better.  I firmly believe, that you need to
live with something for at least a day or two, to really determine
whether it increases your enjoyment of reproduced music - although, do
I think practice and experience will help you get a better feel of the
likely result in a shorter time.

--
Patrick Dixon

www.at-tunes.co.uk