ezkcdude;182151 Wrote:
> AFAIK, the single advantage (theoretically, at least) of upsampling is
> to lessen the harmful effects of digital "brickwall" filters of modern
> DAC chips.

Ok, well let me go look into that.

But the fact remains that to upsample you have to interpolate, and if
there is any complexity in the signal at all there is only heuristic
methodology to fill in the interleaving samples. It might be a simple
heuristic, like double the samples. It might be more complex, like pick
half way between sample one and three. Or, if you have a model of the
sound source (for example, a human voice) you can likely do a pretty
good job of interpolation. But I don't see how to do that in general.

So, yes, it is about the interleaving sample not being there from an
information perspective...

This is pure information theory stuff. I didn't claim audibility or
anything about audio quality. Its just a fact you have to interpolate
the intervening sample.

I guess the risky part here is that there is a claim of "making it
sound better" which risks veering into the alternate world of
audiophile physics so perhaps I should qualify my statement.

Let's say this. Accepted information theory says you cannot add
original information back into a signal simply by upsampling, nor can
you increase the information content of the signal - you can only
interpolate an estimate.

--
Eric Carroll

Transporter-Bryston 3B SST-Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.4
SB3-Rotel RB890-B&W Matrix 805
SB3-Pioneer VSX-49TXi-Mirage OM7+C2+R2