Skunk;183879 Wrote:
> The precision circuits for the servos, separate housing for the
> transport/DAC, and resonance damped platter proves that the design of
> CD players is indeed compromised.
Not necessarily. Accuphase CD players are exquisite pieces of
engineering, and I'm sure that the care they put into the analogue side
of things is justified (at least to a certain extent). But this thread
is all about whether there is a flaw in the DIGITAL side of CD replay,
and in this domain it is debatable whether the lengths that the likes
of Accuphase (and other "super-fi" manufacturers) go to is necessary.

The simple fact of the matter is that very humble low-end CD players
are quite capable of delivering bit-perfect digital data streams from
even moderately damaged CDs. It takes a heck of a lot of scratches
before the C2 error correction stage fails. Only those which have been
seriously abused (and those with uncorrectable errors pressed in at the
manufacturing stage) pose any kind of problem.

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?