I had the opportunity last week to listen to a Moon I-7 integrated amp.
driving some Vandersteen ce2 signature speakers.  Without a doubt the
balanced connections provided a much more pleasant sound, the
improvements were mostly in the higher frequency range.

I'd seen the magazines using words like "grainy treble" before and not
really appreciated what this meant, well I got to hear it and with the
balanced inputs the 'grain' was gone.  It took some expensive equipment
to hightlight the difference though.

It seemed to me that these speakers could not be described as smooth so
combine their character with the balanced outputs character and the
overall effect was much easier to listen to. I could concentrate on the
music and not on being hit in the face by the treble character...

--
Limping_Pylon