pablolie;184348 Wrote:

> Engineering mind in place, it's S/PDIF, at whether the cable is coax or
> optical does not matter an ounce when it comes to the resulting signal.

That sounds more like a preconceived notion than engineering mind to me
:-) I do agree that arguing over consumer digital formats is like
chasing one's tail, when other formats are probably superior to both
(as garyB pointed out).

Remember Gestalt (the sum is greater than its parts)?

It does no good to argue over DAC chips without considering the
circuit, so the ideal cable probably varies amongst equipment.

Consider that 'A remote converter which sounds different [due to
changing transports], is simply not well engineered and should be
rejected. Similarly, if the effect of changing the type of cable
feeding the converter can be heard, the unit is deficient.
Unfortunately many consumer external DACs fall into this category...'
(Watkinson 108)

That was Pfarell's experience at least. IMO this proves both sides are
right. The cable may matter, but shouldn't. Similarly, should it be
proven toslink has more jitter, it still doesn't prove coax should be
used by default.

The best advice is 'try it and see', but neither camp is ever satisfied
with that answer.

-------
Watkinson, John. An Introduction To Digital Audio 2nd ed. Oxford: Focal
Press, 2002.

--
Skunk