kphinney;184636 Wrote:
> I experimented with Max for 1) Ripping a CD as FLAC, 2) ripping a CD as
> ALAC and 2) transcoding FLAC to ALAC.
>
> ALAC format resulted in a file that, while readable by iTunes, was
> unable to be decoded by SB3.  The file was available in SS with tags
> and info available, but SB3 would only display the title - not play it.
> FLAC gave me a file I could use on SB3 but no access via iTunes.
> Running the final file through iTunes "Convert Selection to Apple
> Lossless" generated a file that maintained its tags and was playable on
> iTunes as well as SB3.
> Doesn't look like Max is the best option for my setup.
>
> I think I've settled on using iTunes to encode as ALAC.  It requires
> very little intervention and, while not as universally renowned as FLAC
> it will allow me to generate high quality files.

If that works for you, go for it.  ALAC and FLAC should sound the same,
since they're both lossless formats.  And you should be able to convert
ALAC files to FLAC or another format later, without any loss in
quality, if your needs change.  Of course, that would require
appropriate software, and if Max didn't work for you I don't have any
suggestions for alternatives.  Maybe OSX 10.5 will have a solution
built in.

--
bobschneider