Phil Leigh;185786 Wrote:
> 4 Bryan Ferry HDCD remasters (In Your Mind, These Foolish Things, Lets
> Stick Together, Another Time, Another Place), Mark Knopfler (Golden
> Heart, Sailing to Philadelphia, Shangri-La) John Fogerty (Centerfield),
> Brian Wilson (Smile), Barb Jungr (Waterloo Sunset)
> ...and they all sound fantastic! (well, Smile doesn't actually sound
> that great with or without HDCD..Good Vibrations isn't a patch on the
> original "in your face" 60's mix/production.)
>
> So either it's working or I've lost my marbles. I await Eric's
> controlled test with eager anticipation (of buying more HDCD's or
> hanging my head in the ABX hall of shame)

Ah, but the question is then, are HDCDs really better, or is it just
that they are recorded better?

If the producer is concerned enough about audio quality to go to the
effort to make it an HDCD, perhaps the standard Redbook 16-bit version
is superior as well?

--
Mark Lanctot

"It's like, you know, a New Age religion, but with better treble
response." - Jon Heal