Thanks for your input GaryB.

Regarding the regulators...
In the photo, the only bits that look like regulators are U5, U6 and
U8.  I found a post from Sean Adams (link below) which identifies the
5V and 9V regs as Texas Instruments UA78L05ACPK and UA78L09ACPK.
Looking at the datasheet for these, the "PK" package looks a lot like
U5 and U6 on your photo. Also, I can just about see what might be a "5"
written on U5, and "9" on U6.  U8 looks to have "L33" or something
written on it and is possibly linked to U5 - hard to tell on photo.  My
guess would be that U8 is the 3.3V reg and is fed from U5 as in the DAC
datasheet application notes.

Also, referring to an old schematic of the DAC section from Sean (link
below), the power supplies each have 100nF, 10uF and 220uF filter caps.
So C7 and C9 are something to do with it too.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=43522&postcount=10
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=141404&postcount=5

--
parrydave

*modded squeezebox 3/arcam cd92t/arcam a85/arcam avr300
dynaudio contour 1.3mkii/dynaudio focus 200c/mk k-4/rel q150
pioneer pdp-507xd/sky+/harmony 525*