Pat Farrell;186352 Wrote:
> P Floding wrote:
> > In addition I don't think cranking out DACs is such an impressive
> thing
> > compared to a lot of electronics engineering. It's a bunch of
> standard
> > parts, after all.
>
> Isn't that where we were in the late 70s, all amplifiers sound alike
> because they all have the same parts and same gross ratings (power,
> THD,
> etc.)
>
> :-)
>
> Audiophiles, by definition, believe there are differences.
>
> The art of engineering is not to make the best possible thing,
> it is making the best things at a specific price. It is not a lot of
> challenge to make, say an FM radio, but to make one with under $1.50
> worth of parts requires thinking. Doing it under $0.75 takes far more.
>
> And don't discount layout quite so quickly. How you arrange the parts
> makes a big difference.
>

> YMMV, etc
>
> --
> Pat
> http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Yes, but the issue here was the difficulty of understanding the
fundamental operation of a DAC. That is not a big issue, and
credibility is not an issue in this case. Anyone with the right
engineering skills can verify John's claims.

--
P Floding

No, I didn't ABX it. And I won't even if you ask me. (Especially not if
you ask me.)