I'll second the Audioengine5 recommendation.  I bought a set for my
office, and they sound fantastic.  Even without a sub they put out an
impressive amount of bass.  Slim Devices uses these speakers at audio
shows to demo their products.  In fact, if you tell them Dean from Slim
Devices sent you, they may provide you a discount.  You can demo them
for 30 days and return them if you're not satisfied.  I took them to
the beach this past weekend and used them in a 700-sq. foot room, and
they performed very well.  I never turned them more than halfway up.

--
Kyle