I've got a pair in my small office playing flac files directly through
an external, 24-bit sound card.  Since I'm playing at mostly low volume
in an office setting, I use an equalizer to boost bass and treble
response.  However, I took them to the beach recently because my beach
stereo ($1,000 list Denon CD/DVD system) was in the shop.  I used an
SB2 to play flac files in a much larger room (700 sq. ft.) at a much
higher volume than my office.  They handled the task better than the
Denon system with higher maximum volume.  Although bass response was
impressive, I did hook up the Denon sub for a little extra kick.  I'm
certainly no audiophile when it comes to spending thousands on
equipment, but I do appreciate clean, detailed audio with nice and
punchy, but not overblown, bass.  I'd recommend the Audioengines for
any sub-audiophile application.

--
Kyle