I don't think you could accuse people like Peter Aczel of being
ignorant. :) Check out the Audio Critic by yourself.

http://theaudiocritic.com/cwo/Back_Issues/

I'm quite a newb in these matters and I'm no sound engineer, but they
seem to me more knowledgable and more responsible than most audio
publications out there (yes, I'm looking at you Stereophile) Sometimes,
they can state their claims a little too bluntly, without proper
qualifiers. But at the end, they'll save you money so that you'll be
able to put it on what really matters, the speakers for example.

Now, you won't find their findings about CD players in the back issues
of the Audio critic. At least, I didn't find them. Maybe they're just
quoting someone else's findings. I know some people conducted some
double blind tests and I'm still looking for them.

--
Nostromo