mmg_fan;188881 Wrote:
> It seems that the general consensus is that solid state components
> definitely DO benefit from a warm-up AND break-in/burnin time. This  is
> something that is measureable.

There is no such consensus.

Suppose such a thing were true.  In order to make an audible
difference, the changes would have to be relatively large - in general,
we can measure changes in the electrical characterstics of a circuit
with far greater precision than we can hear the results of such changes
in an audio chain.  Countless physics experiments rely on incredibly
precise measurements.  All those experiments use electrical equipment,
much of which is constructed in the lab using (good quality, naturally)
off the shelf components.  Such things as miniscule static charges, tiny
little breaths of air, slight vibrations caused by distant traffic or
someone walking three corridors away can affect the resuls of these
experiments and must be dealt with. We're talking about *incredibly*
tiny effects here.  These experiments are often conducted in a hard
vacuum and cooled to a few miliKelvin above absolute zero, because
otherwise disturbances in the air and thermal noise would drown out the
signal.

And yet I have never once heard of anyone in such an experiment having
a problem with changing electrical characterisitcs of a capacitor over
time (I'll ask some of my colleagues, just to be sure). How odd -
audiophiles must really have golden ears to be able to detect an effect
so small it can't be measured in state of the art experiments.  I guess
those audiophiles had better seal their equipment in a vacuum chamber,
because they must be disturbed by tiny air currents too.  Exactly how
they're going to hear anything in a liquid-helium cooled vacuum is a
bit of a conundrum... anyone sense a business opportunity?

ErikM Wrote:

> So when I put in a new set of speakers cables and they sound bright,
> grainey and lack bass, but after playing music through them for X hours
> and they don't sound that way anymore it's a placebo effect??

Yes.

--
opaqueice