I have comments about a couple of your concerns:

PNCD;189082 Wrote:
> I was most surprised and disappointed to learn that TP has a digital
> variable analog output.  That did not fit with the audiophile label and
> has caused me to retain a pre-amp that I thought I could replace.
The digital volume control in the Transporter (and Squeezebox) has been
*very* carefully programmed so as to introduce the least possible
degradation of resolution. Indeed, if you're using 16 bit sources (eg.
ripped from CDs), then there is *no* digital degradation whatsoever
until the volume gets below -30dB. There have been a number of threads
on this subject on these forums - try taking a look to see if any of
them reassure you.

The accuracy of the digital volume control in the TP and SB is far
greater than the tracking accuracy of even the most expensive analogue
potentiometer (and I suspect also even the most carefully constructed
resister network stepped attenuator).

FWIW, I use the Transporter's analogue outputs direct into power amps,
and the removal of the preamp from the signal chain resulted in a
significant sound quality improvement. Less is more, as they say.

PNCD;189082 Wrote:
> Least important is the Ethernet wire standard that is stuck at 10/100
> and misses on Gigabit Ethernet.  There is almost no cost differential
> in a built-in Gigabit Ethernet versus the slower ones.
Even uncompressed 192kHz 24bit stereo has a data rate of only 9.2 Mbps.
So I can't see why gigabit ethernet would ever be useful, let alone
necessary.

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?