mlsstl wrote:
> One can debate whether DRM has or has not been effective (or even can
> be), but the concept (not the technical implementation) is still one of
> the guiding lights for the music industry. (An industry, I might add,
> that has always been in a love/hate relationship with musicians and
> composers.)

Your statement is almost right.  DRM is the holy grail of the lawyers
who run the RIAA and MPAA. What often gets lost in these discussions is
that the RIAA does not represent what most folks outside the music
industry consider to be the music industry.

Nearly everyone agrees that composers, musicians, singers, etc. should
be paid for their work. But the RIAA does not represent these
'stakeholders'. The RIAA represents the major record labels. It has a
few minor record labels as members, but all the pull and power is by the
big five labels.

Most folks, if they think about it for a minute, will even extend past
the singers, musicians, composers, to include arrangers, conductors,
recording studio owners, recording and mastering engineers, graphic
designers for the artwork, etc.

I spent four years doing serious cryptography for CyberCash,
SuperDistribuion, and OneBigCD. All three companies were about ensuring
that people got paid for digital goods. None were as naive as to think
brain-dead, simplistic techniques such as the various DRMs seen to date
will ever work, if the definition of 'work' is being secure, robust,
pain-free for the consumer.

I believe I know how to make a DRM be effective. I know it is a ton of
work, and none of the bandaids used for DVDs, CDs, iTunes, etc. have any
prayer of 'working' in the above sense.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/