hirsch;190611 Wrote:

> The "placebo effect" in audio has become is a fallback position for
> people who want to invalidate what others report hearing without going
> through the work of measuring and listening themselves. In other words,
> it means absolutely nothing. There are real placebo effects in
> psychology and pharmacology, but very few people who cite them in audio
> actually have looked at the research on conditions under which these
> effects occur, and consequently have astonishingly poor understanding
> of them.

I studied cognitive psych for a while, and in the process read many
papers on these effects.  I've never heard of this genetic marker idea
- it sounds vastly oversimplified and rather naive to attribute such a
complex phenomenon to a single gene, and it goes against everything we
have learned from cog psy studies - namely that these effects are a
basic part of the way we think.

It's not necessary to be able to explain the origins of placebo to
worry about its effects invalidating uncontrolled tests - you just need
to know that it exists.

--
opaqueice