chill;192458 Wrote:
> If you are ripping to individal tracks using EAC, and the FLAC
> compression is proving to be the bottleneck, you might want to look at
> the 'EAC options' -> 'Tools' tab.  There is an option to allow the
> external compressor to start in the background, with a further option
> to specify the number of simultaneous compressor threads.  Correct me
> if I'm wrong, but I think this would allow the ripping to continue
> without waiting for the compressor, and you could allow, say, 4
> compressor threads to run in parallel.  Each one would be a quarter of
> the speed of a single thread (because of the CPU dependence, and
> ignoring any advantage you might get from multiple cores), but I think
> the point is that EAC would not pause the ripping process unless all of
> those threads were busy.  I'm not certain about this - please chip in if
> anyone knows better.
>
> I've been ripping CDs to FLAC images (not individual tracks) using EAC.
> With this approach, FLAC starts up after the entire CD has been ripped.
> I find the FLAC compression is usually finished in less time than it
> takes me to create the EAC log file, eject the CD and put the next one
> in - it is definitely quicker than the ripping process - at a guess I'd
> say about 30 seconds to compress an entire image.  I'm using the latest
> FLAC (1.1.4?) with the default compression option, and running on an
> AM2 Athlon 64 4200+ dual core processor with Windows XP 32-bit - not a
> particularly 'high end' setup.
>
> Even in C2 secure mode, EAC rips most CDs in 2 to 3 minutes - the
> ripping speed increases with the later tracks on a disc, and the last
> few tracks are often ripped at close to 40x.  This is with a fairly
> cheap LG DVD-RAM drive.

I already run FLAC compression in the background, 1 instance.  EAC
keeps ripping as the FLAC tasks queue up, so it does not slow down the
ripping itself.

The computer is a P-4, 2GHz, 768M RAM, running XP.  The drive is a
LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163.

I compress FLAC 1.1.4 to -8, the highest compression setting.  On my
system an individual track certainly takes 30 seconds or more to
compress, so if you can compress an entire CD in that time consider
yourself fortunate.

--
jeffmeh