willyhoops;193897 Wrote:
> I just found this web site:
>
> http://www.ripcaster.co.uk/
>
> They have the Transporter at £1299 inc vat & delivery to uk address and
> in stock this week. And the squeezebox is £200. Now I know it would be a
> bit cheaper in the USA delivered in an unmarked box that did not get the
> attention of customs but what's £300 between friends?
>
> I am thinking of the transporter plus the 400GB QNAP TS-101 with
> SlimServer installed. Anyone know a better place in the UK than this
> ripcaster place?
>
> No need for me to hear it - I take it on trust it's a decent product.
> Would be hard to test without having a real relaxed enviroment, lots of
> time and good equipment to compare.
>
> I did have the Olive Opus on order and after a four month wait and
> still no sign I am giving up. The Opus has a real small screen and I
> realize that even the small screen size of the Squeezebox/Transporter
> is enough of a pain. I know in about two years this kit will be a total
> write off with much better screens showing album art and more than 35
> characters at a time, and built by a proper audio company like quad at
> half the price - but such is life.
>
> Cheers

I bought a Transporter from Ripcaster. It had problems (see the threads
on "Transporter is dead"). The (owner?) of Ripcaster, Jon Nelson
responded really quickly and got me a brand new one, whilst arranging
for the old one to be picked up. So kudos to him.
All in all a very good experience, and I don't live 500 miles away,
so...

regards,

Giacomo

--