Having been fiddling around with kit for a couple of decades now, I
think that the 3 camp stuff is a little simplistic.
Whilst the groups you mention, might be the "major" camps, and you have
to do is ask for a recommendation on a piece of kit, and see the answers
you get.  On far too many forums you'll get an answer of "buy X piece of
kit, it's ace, cos I've got one", and if said piece of kit is twice the
budget suggested there's probably going to be "save up for it, don't be
a stingy git, you know it'll be worth it".  Frankly, completely useless
advice.

My belief is that almost all manufacturers have their own style of
presentation, often denoted by history, and the preference of their
designers.  So Arcam does sound different to Linn, Naim, Audionote,
Krell, Musical Fidelity etc, and NONE of those answers are wrong.  If
the designer liked it, it means that some % of the buying public
probably will to.
As such, the important bit in our hobby is to find the style of
presentation that bests suits the individual.  Unfortunately it's not
an easy thing to do, and can be quite expensive along the way.

As for myself.  From experience I like the dynamics of horn loaded
speakers, have found that they work best with valve styles of
presentation and don't want something that will rip my head off when I
try to play compressed rock music.  So my system has awesome transient
attacks which has been achieved without the use of over energetic
leading edges, meaning that it can be used effectively with a wide
variety of music.

--
Mr_Sukebe

SB+, Behringer 2496DEQ, Bel Canto DAC2, Bel Canto Evo2i, Impulse Ta'us,
Coherent cables, Stillpoints