AdamSlim,

thanks for the swift answer.
I am currently using a Transporter, which I adore. I came to McIntosh
on the wave of a long search for a network media storage server which
should be fanless, Raid 5, and high end. It would need to be something
along the lines of the Infrant Repertoire but with way more processing
power, ram and hackability, in order to run Slimserver off it. In this
search I came across a number of interesting devices, for example the
Silverstone DS351
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ds351/ds351.html
and the Niveus Storage Server
http://www.niveusmedia.com/products/storserver06.htm
but they all seem to have processors geared towards the distribution of
files and not the running of a media server proper. On top of that, they
are not that CHEAP...I have also thought of setting up a cheapo but
efficient fanless htpc, but have not yet come around to thinking about
it in detail.

Have you come across any such devices (eg like
Repertoire/Silverstone/Niveus) that may fit the bill?

(I confess that I dream about a Slimdevices product that looks like a
Transporter, maybe without the clever knob, and acts as a network
storage computer - something akin to an htpc with Transporter looks and
fluorescent tube display for harddrive temperature monitoring, fan speed
regulation etc - see the Silverstone front panel above).

You mention, that there are cheaper and equally satisfactory amp/preamp
combinations in the UK: what do you suggest, bearing in mind they ought
to be paired with the Transporter? I had a look at NAD, Naim and Arcam,
but given my lack of experience in the high end sector, I would love to
receive some comments on the matter.

Thank you in advance,

Giacomo

--