I think I fall into camp 2 but I have a "big American rig" in addition
to a small tubey British rig, so maybe I'm somewhere in between or in a
fourth category. Over the 40 years I've been listening to music and
choosing equipment, I have always ended up with British made speakers,
they are by far my favorite. Started with B&W, went on to Spendor
(BC-3's), and now have ProAc (1SC and D15). I just love the ProAc
sound, it suits my tastes perfectly, and the speakers respond so well
to tubes (a restored Dyna 70 and a pair of the reissued Quad II Classic
monoblocks). My "big American rig" has Genesis 500 speakers though,
American designed and made, with a ribbon tweeter and about 6 other
drivers and servo-controlled woofers. They too sound perfect with
tubes--ARC VT100 Mk III, a more modern tube sound than the Quad
monoblocks and Dynaco 70 provide. My front end components are Linn and
Ayre, and of course SB3's. I can't tell the difference between my Apple
lossless music on the SB3's (through DACs) and the Ayre and Linn CD
players. I can tell the difference when I play vinyl on my LP-12,
however. Nothing sounds like vinyl, except maybe reel to reel tapes.

--
sc53