Yes it strange that it seems so hard. The only one I know of was a Mark
Levinson DAC that did just that. Do some calculation and take the
maximum clock offset allowed on s/pdif and also take into consideration
that there migth be a single 75 minute track on a CD - in a bad combo of
DAC/Drive klock difference one get into akward delays pushing the Play
button (thats what I recall on top of my head anyway - it was 15 years
since i did that math). Add that one need a good oscilator in the DAC
also.

--
jonte0