adamslim;198685 Wrote:
> I'm not sure paragraph one leads to the second.  I agree that
> differences between source and amplifier components are less obvious
> than for speakers, but I have found (as Patrick put much more elegantly
> than me!) that source quality is highly linked with my overall
> enjoyment.

Certainly many people share your views, but that just hasn't been my
experience.  I get tired of poor speakers as I start to notice their
weak points, which jump out at me more and more on certain tracks.  On
the other hand I appreciate the qualities of speakers I like again and
again - that sudden bass slam you can feel in your stomach, sparkling
clarity on highs, warm mids, seamless crossovers, incredibly real
soundstage.  And yet I usually can't distinguish at all between
sources, even over lots of time.

I used to think that was just me, and it's still a possibility - but
I've learned that just about everyone else also has great difficulty
distinguishing digital sources and amps, at least when blind.  Granted,
those are short tests, and you can always find something to criticize in
them - but no one has any difficulty at all telling speakers apart.

I rest my case.

--
opaqueice