Pat Farrell;198972 Wrote:

> What I find amazing about this whole topic, aside from the massive
> misunderstanding of technology by many posters, is the economics of it
> all. Thirty years ago, people said no one would pay for TV, since it
> was
> free over the air. Now something like 85% of Americans have only cable,
>
> which is not free. If music was like cable TV, where I could buy as
> much
> as I could stand for $20 a month, all this DRM bull would go away
> overnight.

Well put.  It's amazing how little thought people put into their
positions on this.  You get these doomsday scenarios, like if piracy
continues we'll have no more music to listen to.  It's completely
insane - doesn't anyone remember that we've only had recorded music for
about a century?  Do they think there was no music before the 1830's,
when musical scores were first made copyright-able in the US?  Do they
imagine musicians will stop making music if the big recording studios
can't sell CDs?

Forget about DRM - it's just a very bad idea.

--
opaqueice