willyhoops;199078 Wrote:
> the point is that without drm (basically where we are now becuase itunes
> drm is dead) music sales collapse, artists stop making music unless its
> mega bucks pop t-shirt sales stuff, our economy shrinks a bit, and the
> record companies won't release fancy new formats as digital files we
> can copy to our devices.

Music sales collapse?  Yeah, because music is free.  Certainly there
will still be ways to make money distributing it, but the business
model will change greatly, that's for sure.

Artists stop making money?  Sorry?  What world are you living in?  I
know several pro musicians well and am acquainted with quite a few
more, including some reasonably successful ones and one very successful
one, and only that last one makes a significant portion of his income
from record sales.  So a few of the most successful musicians would
have less money - balanced against everyone else in the country having
free or cheap access to all the music they want.  My expectation is
there would be an explosion in the music scene as all these artificial
controls were relaxed - people could sample as they wanted, explore new
music without a cost barrier, there'd be more live shows, and less hype
by record companies promoting the flavor-of-the-month crappy pop.

Fancy new formats?  I couldn't care less - I want good music, not
digital formats.  And cutting parasitic companies out of the market is
regarded as a good thing by most economists, actually.

> so life would clearly be better if drm was possible... and once you
> start thinking that way you realise how well maybe with a bit of
> lateral thinking and tough anti piracy legislation...

Just think about that for a while.

--
opaqueice