Pale Blue Ego;199372 Wrote:
> Another method is to get paid BEFORE releasing a work.  A sort of
> patronage where somebody pays for the creation, and everyone benefits.
> This might work for established artists like U2.

Marillion took this path after going independent.  I believe they've
done it for more than one album, but the one I'm aware of is Marbles:
fans paid upfront for the album, and that money paid for it to be
recorded.  Those who paid early received a limited edition copy (which
contained all those people's names).

Obviously this particular path is only going to work for established
artists; for those artists there is indeed evidence that it does work.

--
smst